Wednesday, November 29, 2006

It's not just Latinos, Hmong and Somalis who have language problems here; D.I.H. does too!

.
Desperate of the D.I.H. blog, born east of the Hudson River, runs into language problems as a new resident of the Land of 10,000 Lakes.

America is an awfully big country, and language just isn't the same from one place to the next. I have lived in a couple of different places and I should be used to this by now. I was in Mississippi once and it was days before I understood a word anyone was saying. In Massachusetts I thought a neighbor was complaining that his cow was stolen, but when he said they caught it on the Turnpike going 75mph I figured he had to mean "car."

But I have been genuinely shocked by MInnesotans. Twice.

The second time was last Saturday , when a lady giving me a facial said she liked to -- wait, I better start at the beginning. [...Snip] Read the Rest

No comments: