Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres, quarum unam incolunt Belgae, aliam Aquitani, tertiam qui ipsorum lingua Celtae, nostra Galli appellantur.

.
Many are objecting to the Motus Proprio because they find that Latin is old fashioned. I am becoming more and more attracted to the Motus Proprio because I find that Latin is not old fashiond but that it is connected to the Greek, The Aramaic and the Hebrew, the languages of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior. Father Tim at the Hermeneutic of Continuity discusses this today:

Thanks to Ecce Agnus Dei for finding Te igitur, clementissime Pater in which Fr Phillips comments on an article in the Guardian "Latin leaves priests at a loss". They dug up an article from La Stampa which quoted a priest from Ancona saying

"I am absolutely incapable of saying mass in Latin, [...] and I would actually be ashamed to do so".
Ashamed??!!!

Fr Phillips makes an apposite comment about the priorities of priestly ministry:
I’m assuming most priests aren’t born knowing how to play golf any more than they’re born knowing how to speak Latin. But if their presence on the golf courses is any indication, most priests are willing to put hours of practice into something they love to do.
Ecce Agnus Dei also has this motivational poster which I found amusing - it works best with the American pronunciation of baroque:

No comments: