Our Lady of Guadalupe began in 1931 as a storefront mission church on Wabasha Street in St. Paul after the Guild of Catholic Women discovered that many Mexican-American families living on the lower West side flats were not receiving the sacraments.
People from the Spanish-speaking community flocked to the tiny storefront church until 1937, when Our Lady of Guadalupe moved to a nearby building that also housed a pool hall and bar. Eventually, the parish purchased the building and added a rectory and classrooms.
Over the years, Our Lady of Guadalupe has grown from a handful of Mexican immigrant families to 1,200 families from many Latino cultures. While new immigrants continue to be welcomed at the parish, some families have been members of Our Lady of Guadalupe for five generations. See the Catholic Spirit for more.