Recognizing the need for the development of the vast prairie in southwestern Minnesota, Bishop John Ireland contracted with the railroads to act as their land agent in the areas near railway expansion. Bishop Ireland wanted only the best land reserved for his future Irish (and other) Catholic settlers.
1878 saw the construction of a wood framed church building, costing $700.00, compliments of Bishop Ireland. By 1887 $15,000 had been raised for the building of a new church. The brick veneered structure, complete with a tower of great height and the capacity to seat 500 worshipers, was dedicated by Bishop Ireland in 1889.
On December 24, 1899, a fire started in the basement of the church. The fire spread quickly and due to the intense heat and the brick veneer on the outside of the church, the structure was a total loss, although a few items from the church were saved.
Over $30,000 was raised to build a new church. The corner stone of the church was placed and dedicated on July 4, 1900, by Bishop John Cotter. In 1901 the congregation began worshipping inside the twin towered, beautiful new church.