Friday, June 15, 2007

If you're looking for something to do this weekend, starting this afternoon, right now . . .

.

I went to this last year for just the last day. Boy did I regret not going to the first two! I thought it would be too cerebral for me. Some of it was, but most of it was pretty funny, too. I'm clearing my calendar now!

I don't know all the featured speakers, besides Dale Ahlquist, ACS President and Chuck Chalberg, G.K. himself, but I do see that also speaking will be Dawn Eden blogger from The Dawn Patrol, New York editor, writer (The Thrill of the Chaste: Finding Fulfillment While Keeping Your Clothes On!), Feminist, Convert and Conversationalist, etc., Joseph Pearce, former London "skinhead" and author of biographies of Chesterton, Belloc, Tolkien, Wilde, etc., and a bunch of professors will be there to educate and entertain you.

Thursday evening through Saturday evening, June 14-16. University of St Thomas, St Paul: Details Here

There is no charge (other than meals which are very reasonably priced - less than $10 for the banquet!) for any of the presentations. But some will be very crowded, so be on time or you sit on the floor!

New and used books will be for sale as well as CDs from previous conferences.

Even if you haven't read much about or by Chesterton, you will enjoy your experience here. And you have plenty of time to read something by him in the next month. I suspect Chesterton's book, "The Man Who Was Thursday", kind of the theme of the Conference, would be an ideal choice for you.

If you are so tied to your keyboard that you can't get out to a bookstore, you can find many of GKC's books for free in a digital file at the Gutenberg Project.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The conference looks great. I wish I could go, but circumstances do not permit it.

In the meantime, I've started a blog dedicated to Chesterton and his writings, and if you admire him you may wish to have a look.