Monday, April 24, 2006

Somethings you read make you feel better!

Joseph Bottum, Editor of First Things Magazine and co-blogger with Father Richard John Neuhaus, cheered me up this morning:

The cause, I think, is that I’ve increasingly stopped caring what happens on mainstream American campuses. Whether it’s coming from the professors or the students, it’s all begun to seem so silly. My alma mater, Georgetown University, now has more members of its English department with specialties in film-making than it has members with active specialties in any recognizable field of literature. I want to care about this. I want to be outraged. But that would require that I believe there’s anything important about the intellectual life of America’s colleges, which has become increasingly hard to do.

No comments: