Thursday, September 20, 2007

The Mass: What we believe is what we pray and live; part 1 of 6

.
.
Reflections on Faith and Spirituality

"Ite, Missa est." This is the Latin ending of the Mass, rendered in English as: "The Mass is ended, go in peace."
"OK," you're thinking, "here's another article - or worse, a series of articles - on the pre-Vatican II Mass."

Wrong.

I know the old Latin Mass is a hot topic, but I start this column with the Latin words for two other reasons.

The first is to say that "missa" is where we get the English word "Mass."

Second, "Ite, Missa est" means we are "missioned" by Jesus Christ himself to bring the Good News to the world (Matthew 28:19-20). The dismissal more than just signals that we can go home - it tells us what to do after Mass. [....Snip] Father Tom Margevicius in the Catholic Spirit

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

t
the old latin mass


ite,missa est means--- go,it has been sent

the author is so wrong not to devote the space to the mass for all time

Cathy_of_Alex said...

I think the whole reason for that series is to entrench the ordinary form and poo-poo the extraordinary form. I know. I am a cynic. I hope they do a fair series on the extraordinary form as well.

I'm happy to His Excellency at the VA. Nice photo.