Tuesday, July 11, 2006

My morning was not nearly as interesting as Erin's

.
Erin, chemist, engineer, and home-schooling-mom of 2.889 children who always writes well about something interesting at her bearing blog, lives a much more interesting life than I do, also.

This morning about ten-thirty I buckled my five-year-old and two-year-0ld into their car seats and started off to Melissa's house via a fairly busy north-south surface route. As I approached an intersection I saw a brown car pull partway out from the right, stop, pull a little farther, stop again. It caught my eye and as I drew closer I saw there was a young woman, barefoot, her hair unkempt, kneeling on the hood of the car. I couldn't make out what she was doing but she looked like she was shouting at the driver.

Rather than drive across the car's path, I hit my brakes. What the --- ? My hand reached into my bag and fumbled for my cell phone, but didn't find it before the car pulled out in front of me, tires squealing, turning left across me, the woman still clinging to the hood of the car, turning her head this way and that as if it see where he was driving. My windows were open. I didn't even think about it. I shouted out the window at the woman, "Hey! Are you okay?"

The car screeched to a stop, facing the opposite way. The woman came down off the hood, or maybe she fell when the car stopped, and opened the passenger door. She looked up at me for an instant; I repeated my question; she nodded and got in. Then the driver's side door opened, and the man who was driving put a foot out and turned towards me and began to yell abusive words at me, started to get out of the car. I whipped my head around and put the pedal to the floor. Behind me in the rear view mirror I saw the car making a three-point turn, and I realized he was going to follow me. I had no idea what he planned to do if he caught up with me. I didn't want to find out. My two kids were in the back seat. I'm eight months pregnant. [snip] Read what happened

No comments: