Wednesday, May 3, 2006

Michael Medved's "Right Turns"

Tom at tMichaelB has a nice review of Michael Medved's autobiographical journey back to his Jewish roots.

have long been interested in people who find ways to integrate their faith into their work and I was pleasantly surprised when I read Michael Medved’s “Right Turns” that such integration is the theme of his autobiographical book. The only thing I knew about Medved before I picked the book up was that he hosted a movie review program on PBS called "Sneak Previews" for a dozen years. Given that I don’t think much of most of the movies that come out of Hollywood, I wasn’t expecting much from the book.

But I was pleasantly surprised. Medved hooked me early and his robust writing style kept me all the way through the 400-plus pages. Published in 2004, I understand the book is just coming out in paperback. Of course it was interesting to read about his association with a number of famous people –- political people such as John Kerry, Hillary Rodham, Bill Clinton, and movie stars such as Barbara Streisand and Mel Gibson. But much more interesting to me was the transformation that took place within his life.
[snip]
Medved’s story impacted me because I know how powerful a father’s reaction can be to a young man’s dreams about marriage. . . .
[More]

1 comment:

Big Red said...

I'm reading this book right now, myself. It's very good.

--Lance