Tuesday, October 3, 2006

Vocation and Family: A Seminarian's Viewpoint

.
In late August, the Office of Vocations for the Diocese of Rapid City asked me to compose a brief article about my family and my vocation. This article was later published in the September 2006 issue of our diocesan newspaper, The West River Catholic. I am republishing that same article here.

As a young child, I remember my father telling people that of his three sons, he wanted a doctor, a lawyer, and a priest. With such assets, he believed, he would be assured a happy and comfortable retirement. I’m not sure exactly why, but it was generally assumed that of my brothers and I, I would be the priest. Dad didn’t get the doctor and the lawyer, but he did manage to inherit a couple of daughters-in-law. It seems entirely likely, however, that he will get the priest, as I am now only three years away from ordination, and am looking forward to the day when I can serve the people of the Diocese of Rapid City as a priest. [....snip] Tyler, a Future Priest of the Third Millenium at the St Paul Seminary

No comments: