Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The Catholic Life in Downtown Minneapolis

Greetings from Mitchell at Our Word and Welcome to It! Ray has graciously invited Judie and I to contribute to his blog, and we're pleased to be along for the ride. There are some excellent members of this roundtable already, and we just hope to be able to keep up with them!

Ray's already written about the saint in Collegeville, so I thought I'd start out modestly, with a way we can all improve our chances of becoming saints. Did you know that St. Olaf Catholic Church, the downtown Minneapolis church, offers Eucharistic Adoration every Friday afternoon? It begins in the Chapel after the noon Mass, running until the 5:15 p.m. Mass. It's a great opportunity for those of us who work downtown to get away from the chaos and stress of the workplace for a few minutes, and spend some quiet time with our Lord.

I should also mention that St. Olaf also features Morning Prayer from the Liturgy of the Hours following the 7:00 a.m. Mass Monday through Friday. Confessions are available after the morning Mass Monday through Friday, and after the noon Mass Tuesday and Thursday.

Believe me, this is a wonderful service being provided by St. Olaf. For those of us who are limited by time from attending our own parishes during the week, St. Olaf offers much to enrich the soul. Readers of Our Word know that from time to time I've pointed out aspects of St. Olaf that don't particularly appeal to me (the African Mass, for example), and it is worth noting that we aren't members of St. Olaf, even though it's about a 15 minute walk from where we live. But there's no question that having St. Olaf around has been spiritually enriching for me, and I'd encourage anyone who happens to work downtown to take advantage of what it has to offer.

Not sure where St. Olaf is? It's at the corner of 2nd Avenue and 8th Street, or you can check the map here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Confession times after Tuesday and Thursday noon Masses make it easier for those of us who STILL have difficulties taking part of this beautiful sacrament.

Our Word said...

You're right, Scott, it's a true blessing. And I should add that the Reconcilation Rooms do allow for Confession behind the screen, as well as face-to-face.

St. Olaf will also have increased opportunities for Confession during Holy Week - I'll try to remember to get those times.

Anonymous said...

I work in DT Mpls and often attend St. Olaf's for Mass and Confession (though my home parish is in St. Paul-St. Andrew). Stations of the Cross on Friday's at 11:15 during Lent followed by noon Mass, followed by Benediction, and Exposition/Adoration is really a fantastic way to maximize your Lenten experience if you can spare that large a block of time on a Friday midday!

I'm partial to the solemn Stations of the Cross at St. Olaf at 3 pm on Good Friday. I usually go to that every year.

Cathy_of_Alex