Monday, April 6, 2009

One in 10 Americans still think Obama is Muslim: Pew Research poll

.
[Nothing "Catholic" here, but I just have to get this off my chest!]

Agence France-Presse
April 2, 2009

More than two months after Barack Obama placed his hand on the Bible and was sworn in as president of the
United States, 11 per cent of Americans still think he is a Muslim, a poll suggested on Thursday.

White evangelical Protestants and Republicans were the most likely to say Obama -- who has an Arabic middle name -- was Muslim in response to the poll question: "Do you happen to know what Barack Obama's religion is?"

Nearly one in five white evangelical Protestants and 17 per cent of the Republicans who took part in the telephone poll of 1,308 adults, which was conducted by Pew Research from March 9-12, said they thought Obama was Muslim.

Fewer than half in each group -- 38 per cent of white evangelicals and 46 per cent of Republicans -- correctly identified him as Christian.

Canada.com/Agence France-Presse



I don't know what religion the Abortion President and I don't really care. What I do care about is how the media have deified him and refuse to check into his background prior to his announcing his candidacy for president.

This article from the French news agency, Agence France Presse, is a classic example. It sneers at "White evangelical Protestants and Republicans" who think that the Abortion President must be a Muslim because he has an Arabic middle name (Hussein).

I'd bet that not one reporter in ten thousand, if they knew it, would dare to write that the Abortion President's first name is Arabic also.

"Barack" means some thing like "blessed" in Arabic. In my intensive studies of the Persian language (Farsi) many years ago we spent some time studying the Arabic tri-literals. Most Arabic nouns and verbs have only three consonents. Most of the vowels are not written but are signified with various marks indicating the proper vowel sound. Much like the Chinese language, you have to memorize the spelling of an Arabic word.

I've lost my Persian dictionary and it's been 40 years since I studied or really used it. But two Arabic words that were imported into Farsi were "Mobarak" (blessed) and "Tabrik" (congratulate). Note the b, the r, and the k in both words.

"Hosni Mubarak", the President of Egypt, has a slightly different vowel in his last name.

I have no evidence and it is not a real issue, but I would bet dollars to donuts that a man with an Arabic first and middle name with a father from Kenya (the Swahili language also includes many Arabic words) probably at some point in his life was considered to be a Muslim.



3 comments:

Terry Nelson said...

You mean he isn't Muslim? I thought Nation of Islam was Muslim.

Unknown said...

I would venture to say only that when he was born he was considered to be "Muslim."

As an opportunist, I'm sure that he realized that wouldn't get elected as dog catcher in Chicago so he found himself a black Christian preacher whose services he liked.

Dave said...

Ray, I agree. I believe he has followed his mother's steps and is an atheist. Like other politicians, he joined a church in Chicago that would aid his political career.