“On behalf of the 650,000 Catholics of this Archdiocese, I wish to reinforce what Cardinal Rigali, Bishop Lori of
“Surely, there may be some Catholic politicians who will take a different interpretation of this Church doctrine during the coming election campaign, but Speaker Pelosi’s remarks underscore once again the need for Catholics, and especially Catholic politicians, to form their consciences according to the moral truths taught by the Catholic Church.”
Here's the box score as of before the release of Abp. Nienstedt's statement:
Here’s a timeline to get you up to speed:
- 8/24 – Morning: House Speaker Nancy Pelosi makes numerous uninformed and false claims Meet the Press interview about the Catholic Church’s 2,000-year teaching on abortion in her
- 8/24 – Evening: numerous Catholic and conservative blogs criticize Pelosi
- 8/25 – Afternoon: Abp. Chaput is the first U.S. Bishop to publicly correct Pelosi
- 8/25 – Late Afternoon: Ten Catholic members of Congress respond to Pelosi
- 8/25 – Early Evening: The US Bishops respond to Pelosi in a special press release
- 8/25 – Late Evening: Abp. Wuerl of Washington DC also corrects Pelosi
- 8/26 – Early Morning: Associated Press and political blogs note the bishops’ statements
- 8/26 - Evening: Fr. Mitch Pacwa on his Threshold of Hope EWTN show said that if you don't know when life begins, confess your ignorance, and protect on the side of safety.
- 8/27 – Early Afternoon: Cardinal Egan issues the strongest condemnation yet of Pelosi
- 8/27 – Mid Afternoon: Pelosi’s diocese of San Francisco opts to issue a USCCB reprint
- 8/27 – Late Afternoon: Pelosi’s spokesman issues a non-apology response
- 8/27 – Evening: Mainstream media sources try to digest the recent developments
... and that’s where things currently stand. Still no personal response from Pelosi.
Hmm... It seems that neither the Star Tribune nor the Pioneer Press saw fit to include the press release. I hope it is just me missing the published release and not the media suppressing what they do not want to hear.
Thanks for posting that timeline - very helpful format to keeping up to date. I'm following this from a distance.
Post a Comment