Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Let's hear it for Father Yockey! Hip, Hip, Hooray!

Concerned for years about parents who seldom attend Sunday Mass after registering as church members to get a tuition discount, Father John Yockey finally decided to take action at St. Jerome Parish School in Oconomowoc.

Tired of giving school tuition discounts to parish members who don't attend services, Yockey is requiring parents of enrolled children to come to church at least 70% of the time. He has been surprised by the mild reaction. I think the reason we're not receiving calls is it would be somewhat difficult for someone to say how unfair it is that I have to go to church. When kids go back to school next month, the classroom won't be the only place where attendance is taken. Parents are going to be tallied in church after Labor Day.

And if they don't have at least a 70% attendance rate in any single quarter, about 10 weeks, they'll have to pay full tuition for the rest of the school year. [...Snip] Milwaukee Journal Sentinel


Cathy_of_Alex said...

When you think about it, 70% of the time is really not all that much. I hope he's checking the Confession line the other 30% of the time.

Nice idea though.

Sanctus Belle said...

Now THIS is a good idea! I should mention this to my parish priest - we have the problem in spades...