Wednesday, October 11, 2006

News From the Seminary Front

.
This past Friday, the seminarians from St. Paul and Minneapolis joined the Rosary procession from the State Capital to the Cathedral. People from all over the archdiocese showed up for the event, including several religious orders. I even ran into some members of my teaching parish committee who were attending the event for the first time. Shortly before the event was to start, I was asked to go back up to the Cathedral and pick up the processional cross and then carry it in the procession.

Carrying the cross while praying the Rosary was a very different experience from praying the rosary while in procession. I was growing tired in the arms by the time the fourth sorrowful mystery was being announced, yet actually being physically tired in the arms from carrying the cross provoked a very beautiful meditation during this time. Another powerful moment was when we turned onto the front steps of the cathedral, with the doors wide open waiting to welcome the procession home, and, in turning, I saw the train of people following carrying their lights. Soon this train, of nearly 1,500 people, was inside the cathedral singing strains of Marian songs, in honor of the Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary, which marks the victory at Lepanto of the Christian fleets over the Turks who were threatening to overrun Italy.
[...snip]
We are also busy preparing for the Rector’s Bowl which will be held Saturday October 21 at 7PM on the main field of St. Thomas. Though I am not playing in the game, I will be cheering the team on in the pep band. We hope to see you there. I am not making any predictions, but SPS has never lost to the St. John Vianney.
[....snip] Future Priests of the Third Millenium

Does it sound like a little "presumption" in that last paragraph? You'd think that by the time they got to the St Paul Seminary, someone would have taught them about that, wouldn't you? Maybe it would be good if we all showed up to watch SJV give them a comeuppance?

1 comment:

Cathy_of_Alex said...

Drat. I"ll be out of town or I'd be up for it. Not sure which side I'd root for. I'm glad they posted the date. I asked them to via an earlier comment on their blog.