Friday, February 16, 2007

This year something different for Lent

.
Various folks around these parts (St Blog's Parish, of course) are musing over what more/better/different things they should be doing this Lent. Catholic blogging seems to do that to people, those of you bystanders out there.

Well I just got a nice phone call from the Chaplain, Father Damien, over at the VA Hospital, not that far from where I live. I have been preliminarily accepted into their EMHC program (Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion, not Eucharistic Ministers) and serendipitously, the annual in-service training is next Saturday.

I have been dragging my feet on this for over a year. The VA has been very, very good to me and I would like to give something back. I'm thrilled.

It is a minor hassle. The Veterans Administration is under the jurisdiction of the Military Archdiocese headquartered in Washington, D.C. and my application and a letter from my parish, the Basilica of St Mary, has to be be forwarded to their ordinary, Archbishop Edwin O'Brien. I certainly hope none of you folks will tattle on me and inform him that I'm one of those gossipy bloggers!


No comments: