The College of Saint Benedict and Saint John’s University Chamber Choir will perform 11 concerts in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and Illinois as part of its 2007 Spring Tour Feb. 22 to March 5.
Under the direction of Axel Theimer, the 49-voice Chamber Choir is the select mixed-voice touring ensemble at CSB/SJU. This year's tour program includes sections titled “Sacred Music” and “Music From Around the World” and features compositions by David Childs, Hugo Distler, Hubert Parry, Carol Barnett, Bob Chilcott and others.
Admission to all concerts is free. However, free-will donations are welcomed and will help defray travel expenses.
The tour schedule is as follows:
- Thursday, Feb. 22, 8 p.m. at St. Andrew’s Catholic Church, Elk River, Minn.
- Friday, Feb. 23, 7 p.m. at St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Appleton, Wis.
- Saturday, Feb. 24, 8 p.m. at St. Francis of Assisi Parish, Manitowoc, Wis.
- Sunday, Feb. 25, 3 p.m. at St. Thomas the Apostle, Newton, Wis.
- Monday, Feb. 26, 7:30 p.m. at St. Augustine Cathedral, Kalamazoo, Mich.
- Tuesday, Feb. 27, 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, Hillsdale, Mich.
- Wednesday, Feb. 28, 7:30 p.m. at First Presbyterian Church, Lansing, Mich.
- Friday, March 2, 7:30 p.m. at St. John of the Cross Parish, Western Springs, Ill.
- Saturday, March 3, 7:30 p.m. at St. Joseph Catholic Church, Black River Falls, Wis.
- Sunday, March 4, 2:30 p.m. at Cathedral of Sacred Heart, Winona, Minn.
- Monday, March 5, 8 p.m. at Great Hall, Saint John’s University, Collegeville.
The Chamber Choir has been in existence since 1969, when Theimer joined the music faculty at CSB/SJU. Until then, students of the two colleges had participated in either the SJU Men's Chorus or the CSB women’s chorus, known as the Campus Singers. Today, the Chamber Choir is one of the major touring ensembles of the CSB/SJU music department.