Friday, September 29, 2006

Six Place Geography Meme

.
Cathy_of_Alex tagged me with this Geography Meme.


1. A Place You've Visited and Your Favorite Thing there.
Zell am See, Austria, where I skied once on a glacier on the Fourth of July.

2. A Country You'd Like to Visit and Why
Egypt, because it is the location of the Great Pyramid, something I have been fascinated with for a long time. My theory, and I’ve mentioned before that I have lots of them, is that the Great Pyramid might really have been what the Bible calls “The Tower of Babel.”

3. A Place From History You'd Like to Visit and Why
Ancient Egypt when Moses led the Israelites out of Egypt to the Promised Land. Just how could it have taken such a large number of people 40 years to go such a short distance?.

4. A Place/Subject You Know a Lot About
Polish Immigration to Duluth and Northern Minnesota. I just gave an hour long talk about it a few weeks ago. And there was lots more that could be said, even before I got to my relatives.

5. A Place You'd Like to Learn More About
Alexander the Great’s Headquarters (or, if I can’t learn ancient Greek in time, U.S. Grant’s). I’ve always been fascinated by the movement of huge armies in the times before electronic communications. I do have one story about that, but you’ll have to ask me some time when we meet. It’s too long to print here.

6. A Fictional Place You'd Like to Visit

Arthur C. Clarke’s “Diaspar” in his early science fiction novel, “The City and the Stars.” As long as I get to leave and explore the universe in that neat space ship that is discovered.

Let's see, who can I tag who will play: Erin from bearing blog; Judith from Our Word; DIH from DIH; and I.C. from I.C.




1 comment:

Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: Great list! I did not know you were an alpine skier (literally!)

This is what I like about memes, you get to learn something about the blogger.