Thursday, June 15, 2006

The Annual Pilgrimage Begins


Nancy
at the American Chesterton Society blog introduces their 25th Annual Conference that begins today at the University of St Thomas. All lecture/discussion sessions are free. Large sale of new and used books!

All across the country, and in some cases the world, people are now beginning to make their way to Minnesota. Not the natural place that first comes to mind when thinking about Gilbert (that would be England, but who can afford that? And after all, we are the American Chesterton Society {even though we do have some Canadians amongst us, but I suppose they are already, at this very moment, plotting and conniving to create their very own CCS...})

What's so special about Minnesota to American Chestertons? Gee, I really don't know my history. I know that at one time, there was a Midwest Chesterton Society, and that a lot of the people whom I've met at the annual conference were a part of that. The Pettas, John Petersen, The Bowens, and many more. Then Dale started coming to the meetings, and next thing you know, the whole sheebang got moved to his hometown. I don't know, but that sounds like empirialism to me. I'm sure there are parts I'm missing. I'll try to flesh out a better history while I'm there, and give you the details as I am able.

Another thing I want to check up on is what I call "Chestertonian Romances." People who met because of Chesterton. I know actually for a fact that that is how the Pettas for together, and I'm going to try and get their story if I can this trip. I hope to find a couple of others. Last year I noted something blossoming amongst a couple of our younger conferees, (see, you can find love and romance at even such a thing as a Chesterton Conference!) so I'll have to see what's going on with that this year.

Meanwhile, I know for sure that Dr. Thursday has already left and is at this moment driving across the country. We leave tomorrow am, and I know that another family leaves in the morning as well. May God grant us all safe journeys and a fruitful time at ChesterCon.


No comments: